The Barry Tuckwell Award was established in 1997 to honor the IHS Founding President and is designed to encourage and support worthy horn students as they pursue education and performance opportunities by attending and participating in masterclasses and workshops throughout the world. Application deadline December 1, 2018.
Award: One award of up to $500 will be used to help pay the registration, room and board, and travel costs to attend any master class, workshop or symposium in which the applicant will study with master hornists and perform. The winner will also receive a one-year IHS membership.
Age Requirements: Applicants must be age 18-24 on January 1, 2019.
- A completed Tuckwell Award application form (you must be logged in to submit the online application), including two brief essays:
- An essay explaining why you wish to attend this particular workshop/masterclass and what study and performance opportunities you will have there.
- An essay containing a brief description of your musical training and experience
- A recording of the applicant playing one movement of a concerto or sonata (with piano), one etude, and two orchestral
- Two letters of recommendation, including an assessment of the applicant’s financial need.
Judging: Applications will be judged on a combination of ability, character, motivation, goals, financial need, and opportunities available at the selected venue.
Deadlines: Completed applications must be received by the IHS Executive Secretary no later than December 1, 2018. Applicants will receive notification of the awards by January 2, 2019.
This award is payable directly to the symposium or master class artist, or to the winner upon submission of receipts for expenses.