Information for 2021 TBA
Jon Hawkins (1965-1991) was a Life Member of the IHS, just starting his career as a professional musician when he met his death in a traffic accident. His parents, Neil and Runa Hawkins, established this award as a memorial to their son. More information on Jon Hawkins.
The purpose of this award is to encourage the attendance of deserving, highly motivated horn students at the annual IHS symposiums, where they can be intensely exposed to state-of-the-art levels of performance, pedagogy, equipment, and resources.
Award: TBA One award up to $1,500 (US) to be used for the registration fee, room, board, and travel costs to the 2020 IHS Symposium. In addition the award winner will:
- receive instruction from at least one symposium artist, in the form of a private lesson and/or masterclass;
- give a solo performance at the Symposium;
- receive a copy of Werner Pelinka’s Concerto for Jon;
- receive a one-year IHS membership.
Age Requirements: Hornists under 24 years of age on TBA may apply.
Applications must be submitted online. A complete application must include:
- A completed Hawkins Memorial Award Form (must be logged in to access online application), including three short essays.
- An essay describing your background, experience and education;
- An essay describing your future goals as a horn player;
- An essay explaining your current financial situation and how this award would affect your plans.
- A recording of the applicant’s playing including at least two contrasting works that represent a range of the applicant’s performing abilities. An unaccompanied piece is acceptable, but if a piece has piano (or other) accompaniment, then it must be played with said accompaniment.
Judging: The winner will be selected on the basis of performance ability, a demonstrated need for financial aid in order to attend the upcoming workshop, and personal motivation.
Deadlines: Completed applications must be received by the IHS Executive Director no later than TBA. Applicants will receive notification of the awards by TBA.