10-3-09-Seattle, Julius Watkins Jazz Horn Festival

More
28 May 2009 17:35 #290 by Tom Varner
Hi Friends, Tom Varner here. I moved from NYC to Seattle in fall 05.
Life is good out here, especially with 2 young kids.

After around a ten-year break after doing five in the NYC area, I've decided to have another celebration of jazz on the horn. There will be more info soon, but just wanted to let people know. So:

The 6th Julius Watkins Jazz Horn Festival

Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, WA, USA
workshops/talks from 12:30 pm, and main concert at 8 pm.

Chancey, Clark, Johanessen (Norway), Morley (Australia), Smith, Simpson, Snedeker,
Unsworth, Van Dreel, Varner, and more!

More info at www.JuliusWatkins.com , and at www.Cornish.edu/music/watkins .

For those new to jazz horn history, Julius Watkins was the real pioneer of jazz improvisation on the horn, who, along with Graas, Schuller, Amram, Ruff, and others, led the way for the rest of us. Let your NW USA friends know!
best to all, Tom Varner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2009 17:46 - 06 Sep 2009 18:06 #324 by Tom Varner
Hi All---just letting everyone know I've been working hard at organizing and planning, and all is looking good for Oct. 3, 2009, in Seattle, Cornish School of the Arts, our 6th (after a ten-year break) Julius Watkins Jazz Horn Festival. If you have any friends/colleagues in the
NW USA area, let them know! Links are above. Unsworth, Clark, Chancey, myself, Johannesen, Morley, Snedeker, Smith, Simpson, Van Dreel, and a supporting cast of Cara Sawyer, Rune Brodahl and Eyvind Adreassen (both from Oslo), Stacey Eliason, Nels Magelssen, and more! all the best----Tom Varner
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 18:06 by Tom Varner. Reason: fixed space

More
19 Sep 2009 00:01 #328 by Tom Varner
Hi friends, all is still looking good for Oct. 3, Seattle. there is a nice piece on the event in the Seattle jazz monthly, Earshot, September edition. You can read it (pdf) at http://www.earshot.org/Publication/pub/09september.pdf , page 9. best Tom Varner

More
20 Sep 2009 04:27 #329 by Karen Famera
Replied by Karen Famera on topic 10-3-09-Seattle, Julius Watkins Jazz Horn Festival
I want to sell my Geyer horn which was made for John Graas in the early 40s. It is the only nickel silver horn he made and is a collector's item.

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok