• Page:

TOPIC: String or Mechanical-linked Valves?

String or Mechanical-linked Valves? 30 Nov 2017 15:47 #1672

• Chris Reid
  • Chris Reid's Avatar Topic Author
I'm a training music educator looking at a horn with a detachable bell at a low price point. My choices are the Jupiter 1100D and Jupiter 1110D. The only difference I can find on their website is that the former is mechanically linked and the latter is string-linked. Unfortunately I can't find a reliable dealer that sells both models to compare price points, so I'm going strictly off your recommendations on design.

Thanks much, all!

String or Mechanical-linked Valves? 30 Dec 2017 03:21 #1686

Strings are quieter wo need for lubrication but need to be changed annually when the valves are taken apart for cleaning. Mechanical linages can be noisier even w lubrication but are faster to reinstall after the annual valve clean. Pros and Cons to both.

String or Mechanical-linked Valves? 14 Mar 2018 18:54 #1703

I taught at a school that had Jupiter Horns with mechanical links and the screws always seemed to be coming out.

String or Mechanical-linked Valves? 17 Apr 2018 03:18 #1711

Strings are definitely preferred. Over the years I have owned both types of linkaged horns and now play a double Hoyer with strings on the 3 valves, but it has mechanical linkage to the f/bflat valve. I haven't had to change the strings in literally decades ( I use 25# WOVEN fish line), but the mechanical linkage to the one valve is a constant headache for noise.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds