The International Horn Society is a global horn community. We celebrate diversity and exercise tolerance, and we are here to offer support, resources, and inspiration. Views expressed by individual members of the IHS do not necessarily reflect our values and aims of the society as a whole.

My favorite etude books

More
25 Jan 2009 09:42 #237 by Scott Miller
My favorite etude books was created by Scott Miller
In response to the survey on favorite etude books, there are a few I really like even after 30 years of playing them. In addition to Reynold's classic 48 Etudes (some of the slower ones make very nice recital and audition pieces)and Kreutzer transcriptions, I also like "Belloli 8 Etudes" and recently purchased "Charateristic Etudes" (both High and Low books) by Marty Hackleman. I particularly like using Belloli for maintaining endurance and accuracy while Hackleman's books are great for expanding and challenging one's range.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2009 02:44 #238 by Louis Stout, Jr
Replied by Louis Stout, Jr on topic Re:My favorite etude books
My 2 personal favorites are the"Preparatory Melodies to Solo Work for French Horn" by Max Pottag and the "Etudes for Modern Valve Horn" by Felix de Grave. Both of these books offer a very wide range of etudes, from the fast and very technical to the slow and very melodic. I especially enjoy the slow melodic etudes. They allow me to express the emotions that I am feeling and give great satisfaction. I think the best series of books is the Rubank series. From the "Beginning" book to the "Supplemental" book they offer a student a great set of books to advance with. My personal favorite beginning book is the "Marvin Howe Method for Horn". My dad taught me out of this book and I have used it with just about every beginning student I've ever heard. After Marvin's death it was very hard to find the book for a while. Fortunately, it is now available through Randall Faust. There are many other books I enjoy but these are my favorites.

Louis Stout :)

More
27 Jan 2009 20:52 #240 by Ricardo Matosinhos
Replied by Ricardo Matosinhos on topic Re:My favorite etude books
My favorite etudes are of course the 48 and the 16 from V Reynolds, the 13 Estudes from Koetsier, the Pauline Oliveros Interval Etudes and a few from the J. Falk Atonal Etudes, for last my own etudes, that will be published soon.

More
03 Feb 2009 22:12 #244 by Fatima Mestre
Replied by Fatima Mestre on topic Re:My favorite etude books
douze études by Marcel Bitsch- my favorite etude book :)

More
14 Feb 2009 10:17 #249 by H. Stephen Hager
Replied by H. Stephen Hager on topic Re:My favorite etude books
I enjoy the Gallay Non-Measured Preludes balanced with Neuling Low Horn Etudes
Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2009 19:28 #252 by Amelia Carpenter
Replied by Amelia Carpenter on topic Re:My favorite etude books
I must say that it is a tie between Gallay and Kling. I spent two years doing nothing but Kopprasch and was elated when I found out that something else existed.Just as elated as I was when I found out that there were other violin etudes other than Kruetzer(and twinkle, twinkle little star in the 1000 suzuki variations):lol:

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok