pimple pain

More
29 Sep 2008 17:25 #175 by Olivia Queathem
pimple pain was created by Olivia Queathem
Has anybody else had this problem? Sometimes I get a pimple on my upper lip, right where my mouth touches the mouthpiece. It can be very painful to play, especially on higher notes. Does anybody know a way to ease the pain, or do you just have to suck it up and wait it out?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2008 21:49 #177 by James Hampson
Replied by James Hampson on topic Re:pimple pain
I've had it really bad with this problem. Last year, I had a pimple right on the border between the upper lip and the skin above it. While I was playing it popped and got infected. I couldn't play for a week because of it. My upper lip swelled up and it was a mess.

I wish I could give you some advice, but I just play through them. You could get some creams to help it out a bit.

Another problem people have is with cold sores. I have a remedy for that; tannic acid. Tannic acid gets rid of cold sores and prevents them from appearing. You can buy it in a small bottle sometimes sold at drug stores, or you can do what I do and drink tea. Tea, that comes in bags/leaves or bottles (I drink tetley) contains enough tannic acid to have this effect. If you have a really bad one, just make a cup of tea, and place the soaked tea bag on the sore. It works quite well.

I hope this helps.

More
30 Sep 2008 16:05 #178 by Olivia Queathem
Replied by Olivia Queathem on topic Re:pimple pain
Thank you very much! I'll keep your advice in mind.

More
26 Mar 2009 10:08 #265 by Elizabeth Hobson
Replied by Elizabeth Hobson on topic Re:pimple pain
This might be a little late, but I'll put in my two cents! It sounds like your mouthpiece is causing your pimples. (You know, pimples are caused by gunk getting into your pores and your body's reaction to that gunk is a pimple.) Check the cleanliness of your mouthpiece. Other than for the sake of good hygiene and horn maintenance, if your mouthpiece is clean, there will be less gunk to induce pimples. You can try a couple of things. You can usually find that alcohol spray that disinfects mouthpieces at your local music store, but that stuff is nasty tasting! A quick dip in Listerine or another antibacterial mouthwash could work. If you have some more time on your hands, you can boil your mouthpiece in water for a few minutes. Make sure you let it cool to room temperature before you use it! If you eat before you play, rinse out your mouth with water after eating and before you start playing, and that nasty buildup won't be as bad.
Hope all that helps.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok