Horn Thumb Fingerings

• Ricardo Matosinhos
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jun 2011 01:50 #452 by Ricardo Matosinhos
Horn Thumb Fingerings was created by Ricardo Matosinhos
There are several ways to indicate the horn fingerings
Traditionally horn methods use single numbers for F horn fingerings and T+numbers for bflat fingerings. This comes from a tradition to play mostly in F and only use the thumb for the B-flat horn. Today most of the world play mostly in Bb-F horn instead of the traditional F-Bb so now in fact thumb means F horn...
Usually I use single numbers for b-flat horn and F+numbers to F horn. This makes sense since F referes to the music note and not for the thumb) and even for those countries where the solfege method is used is easily understood as Fa, so this works for the english, the german and the french system of notation.
Joseph Pehrson on his "Harmonic Etude"(1986) referes to the thumb as the 4th finger.
14, 124, 4, 2 etc...
To solve this Esa-Pekka Salonen on his "Concert Etude" (2000) uses Bb/12, F/13 Bb/3....
I prefer this system as it allows to expand it to the high E-flat, the high F or even the Hight Bb.

I would like to know the opinion of he hornplayers of this forum, and give the idea to the IHS maybe to internationalize it, like you did with the term "horn" instead of " french horn".

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Ricardo Matosinhos
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jun 2011 22:13 - 10 Jun 2011 15:14 #453 by Ricardo Matosinhos
Replied by Ricardo Matosinhos on topic Re: Horn Thumb Fingerings
To help on this topic I've created a small quiz

Click here to see the answers
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 15:14 by Ricardo Matosinhos.

• Ricardo Matosinhos
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2011 20:47 - 10 Jun 2011 15:13 #454 by Ricardo Matosinhos
Replied by Ricardo Matosinhos on topic Re: Horn Thumb Fingerings
There was one guy trying to fake the results, posting 200 times, I've corrected this and blocked 100 responses without the crazy posts. It's enough to get an Idea.
50% of the posts where form america, 46% from europe, 2% from australia, 1% from asia and 1% from africa.
Most of the answers say they have a double horn, 69% saind they play mostly in B flat horn, but also in F, even so, only 37% had their horns configured standing on Bflat horn.
So I think those 69% players that play mostly in b-flat horn would benefit from having their horns standing on b-flat.
Thanks for all that answered.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 15:13 by Ricardo Matosinhos.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
This website uses cookies to enhance user experience, including login status. By using the site you are accepting the use of cookies.
Ok