- The Featured Composition Division: Compositions in this division are works of moderate difficulty. “In the featured DIVISION, the horn part should be playable by the entire spectrum of Hornists within the International Horn Society: Students, Amateurs, and Professionals. It should have musical content that would have the integrity to honor the professional hornists—yet within the pitch and technical range of the panorama of student and amateur players.
- The Virtuoso Composition Division: Compositions in this division have no difficulty limitation and are from one of the following instrumentation categories.
- Compositions for Two or More Horns with a Keyboard Instrument (one keyboard performer). (Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.)
- Solo Horn featured with large ensemble.
- Compositions for Horn Ensemble (two or more players, all horns)
- Horn with chamber ensemble of three or more players (one horn part only. The chamber ensemble may include any acoustic or electronic instruments.)
- Compositions for solo horn and keyboard instrument. (Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.)
- Compositions for Solo Horn (alone/unaccompanied)