bicycle handlebar grip tape as a horn handguard?

More
04 八 2012 16:14 - 04 八 2012 16:53 #607 by Paul Litterio
I'm trying to find the perfect handguard for my Yamaha667 Hatch conversion. I have tried a few, none really fit the horn properly. I have pretty acidic oily skin that turns green and turns the horn green very quickly. Has anyone ever used bicycle handlebar grip tape, would it be a good idea to try?

I know I would feel really weird bringing my horn to a bicylce repair shop.
Last edit: 04 八 2012 16:53 by Paul Litterio. Reason: misspellings

Please 登入 or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 九 2012 14:53 #615 by Brian Blanchard
Replied by Brian Blanchard on topic bicycle handlebar grip tape as a horn handguard?
I've never done it, but as a long-time cyclist, I'd suggest you find the tape without adhesive backing since I don't know what the adhesive would do to the lacquer, and it makes quite a mess on handlebars (cyclists don't care, because it gets covered up by the new tape).

More
24 九 2012 15:23 #624 by Jeremy Cucco
Replied by Jeremy Cucco on topic bicycle handlebar grip tape as a horn handguard?
It's an older question, but I'll throw in my $.02.

The problem with grip tape (cycle or tennis racket) is that it does nothing to stop sweat from getting through.

I've done more than my share of cleanings on horns and invariably, when someone brings in a horn with grip tape on it, I have THEM remove it. Every time, without fail, there is significant corrosion below the grip tape. In one case, it was bad enough, it had eaten all the way through the pipe guard and bell branch and was the only thing keeping air from leaking out. (And this was a custom Alex 200 with ascending 3rd... $$$$$).

Pope Repair and Brass Arts Unlimited sell Leather Specialties hand grips that are perfectly sized for a 667 and have appropriate protection against sweat and corrosion.

Cheers-
Jeremy

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.

Ok