Our Aims and Goals
The purpose of this society shall be to promote musical education with particular reference to the horn. In pursuit of its aims and purposes, the Society and its members:
- Hold and encourage workshops, lectures, and seminars open to the public.
- Publish a Journal consisting of materials appropriate to the horn, as well as periodic newsletters and membership lists.
- Encourage the awarding of grants and scholarships to competition winners.
- Encourage composers and arrangers to write music featuring the horn.
- Foster competitions for and the commissioning of new repertoire featuring the Horn.
- Establish and foster an Archives/Research Facility pertaining to the IHS.
- Establish close working relationships with music teachers.
- Present honors and recognition for distinctive service relating to the horn.
The International Horn Society recommends that HORN be recognized as the correct name for our instrument in the English language. [From the Minutes of the First General Meeting, June 15, 1971, Tallahassee, Florida USA]